Milkshakes make the perfect summer treat. There are a couple of reasons why this drool-worthy recipe is everyone’s favorite. Fresh strawberries make it pure, healthy, and guilt-free.
The natural pink color makes it appetizing and fun to drink. It is high in vitamin C and a great source of folate.
On top of this, it is incredibly simple to make, as you only need a good blender and a few ingredients.
The following provides a simple recipe and a few tips to becoming the master of strawberry milkshakes.
Is a milkshake a dessert?
We start with the timeless question, is a milkshake a dessert or a beverage.
We think it’s dessert for sure, as most milkshakes have an ice-cream base, and they are served with a spoon to scoop up the sweet thick cream.
Most restaurants even put milkshakes in the dessert category. In addition, Merriam-Webster dictionary defines dessert as ‘a usually sweet course or dish (as of pastry or ice cream) usually served at the end of a meal’.
This all sounds like a milkshake to us for sure!
Tools for this recipe
For any recipe, it is vital you choose the right tools and ingredients.
Use fresh fruits with the best quality if they are available and in season. It is now strawberry season, so make sure you purchase some fresh ones.
Make sure you also use full-fat milk, as it will make your smoothie creamier and filling (you can choose skimmed milk if you prefer to).
In order to make a good smoothie, it is highly advisable you use a good smoothie blender.
A standard kitchen blender will do the job but may leave chunks of fruits behind which mess with the consistency.
How to choose the best strawberries to make your milkshake?
The easiest step of this recipe is choosing the right strawberries. Go for bright red and ripe strawberries that are also fresh and sweet.
Make sure they are not white in the middle but red or pink, as bright ones are sweet and have the best flavor.
If fresh strawberries are not available or not in season, use frozen ones. You can also use strawberry jam or strawberry syrup since they provide a good taste to your milkshake.
This taste may not be as good as the one provided by fresh strawberries but they do the trick.
The easiest way to hull strawberries
There are several ways to hull your strawberries and make them ready for your recipes.
You can purchase a strawberry huller and get rid of the calyx, or hull, that leafy top of the fruit; or pick up a straw and follow these instructions.
Use a straw that is stiff and has a larger diameter for better results. Hold your fruit in a way that the leafy part faces down, and then place your straw at the pointy end and push it vertically until the calyx comes out at the top.
You will not need to use as much force if your strawberries are ripe. Grab the hull and get rid of it.
Can you make a strawberry milkshake without ice cream?
Yes, you can for sure make a strawberry milkshake without ice cream, so you can enjoy your good treat without the guilt.
To replace the ice cream, you can use frozen bananas and add more fruits to your recipe.
These frozen bananas will make your milkshake thick, creamy, and sweet without any artificial sugar. To make it even healthier, low in cholesterol, and lactose-free, substitute milk for almond milk.
Adding an avocado will further improve the texture and add smoothness and creaminess to your dessert.
What makes this strawberry milkshake healthy?
This is the ideal recipe for a healthy milkshake because it has:
- Loads of fruit!
- No sugar
- No ice cream! Frozen bananas make this milkshake frothy and thick enough so need to add any ice cream.
- All natural and no artificial flavors added
- Can be altered to accommodate different diets
Milkshake making tips
- This recipe makes enough for 2 people, make sure you add more of each ingredient for more servings.
- You can sweeten your milkshake according to your taste. We suggest you add honey or maple syrup to keep it healthy.
- In addition to using frozen bananas, you can also add more ice cubes to make it cooler and add texture. We also suggest you keep a stash of frozen bananas and strawberries in your freezer for future recipes.
- You can also make this milkshake vegan. Replace regular milk with almond milk, cashew nut milk, coconut milk, or Greek yogurt.
- For more flavor, you can add vanilla extract. For a better nutritional value, add dried fruits or nuts.
- Even though this recipe is made without ice cream, you can choose to add it if you please. Keep in mind that its consistency will change according to the ice cream/ milk ratios used so feel free to play with those two variables.
- A thicker consistency is the result of more ice cream, which will probably require a spoon to consume.
- More milk will make your milkshake thinner in consistency, so you can drink it with a straw.
You may be Need :
This is the perfect all natural strawberry
milkshake for your hot days and afternoon cravings. This classic recipe is
creamy, tasty, and can be made in a few minutes with or without ice cream.
- 1/2 cup strawberries
- 1 banana cut into pieces
- 2 cup full fat milk
Start by freezing your banana for at least one hour
Freeze your serving glasses as well so they stay cold and not melt fast
Wash the strawberries and allow them to dry
Hull the strawberries and cut them in halves
Place your strawberries in a blender and add your banana and milk
Blend well until everything is mixed and the milkshake is frothy and thick
Serve and top your milkshake with strawberries (add whipped cream if you like)